Projects: Balhannah Residence
- To efficiently heat the dwelling, hot water, pool and spa using a single combination system
- To utilise as much solar as possible in all heating modes
- To effectively control the flow of heat and maintain efficiency of the system
This new development is a 7 bedroom luxury project located in Balhannah, South Australia. The client was interested in a combined solar assisted heating package, to cost effectively and efficiently heat the house via independently zoned underfloor hydronic heating, heat the domestic hot water as well as heat the pool and spa, all from one dedicated heat source. Efficiency was key at this project as the client only has access to bottled LPG onsite.
The system proposed was a solar and gas combination storage and heat exchanger system. The underfloor heating system was to be installed within the slab, and be managed with a programmable electronic thermostat system. The pool heating system was to be run in automatic solar mode for the majority of time but also to have the option to heat the pool and spa independently using a natural gas if desired.
The system installed is a dual Latento, 8 solar collector system. The system is controlled by a dedicated control board and links seamlessly with a pool controller.
The basic principle of the hot water, hydronics (underfloor heating) and pool heating system is as follows:
- Heat from the sun is collected by the 8 solar collectors
- This heat is stored in 2 x 580L stratified Latento storage tanks
- The additional gas boost also services the tank, keeping the temperature above the set point temperature
- When home space heating is required, this stored heat is distributed among the heated areas in the house via the programmable room thermostat system.
- When hot water is required, water is drawn through the heat exchanger inside the tanks and is delivered to the hot water system
- When solar heat reject is required, heat is directed to the swimming pool via a titanium heat exchanger
Project outcome, carbon dioxide and cost savings of system
Urban Energy successfully designed, installed and commissioned this Solar / Gas combination heating system. The installation process operated smoothly, in a timely manner within budget costing.
The system has been operating successfully for over 6 months and has saved a significant quantity of greenhouse gasses for the offset heating costs of the dwelling.