Projects: Terry Hills Residence
- To efficiently heat the dwelling
- To efficiently produce hot water
- To efficiently provide solar pool heating
- To utilise as much solar as possible in all heating modes
- To effectively control the flow of heat and maintain efficiency of the system
This existing development is a 5 bedroom ecologically sustainable project located in Terry Hills in the north of Sydney. The client was interested in a combined solar home heating package, to effectively heat the house through existing air conditioning ducts utilising as much solar as possible. Additionally the client wished to heat the domestic hot water and heat the pool again, all by solar.
The system decided on was a very large array solar and gas combination Latento storage system. The heating system was to be installed with a heated ring main and fan coil units around the house and be managed with an electronic programmable thermostat system.
The system installed is a triple Latento, 14 solar collector system complete with heat reject to an existing pool. The system is controlled by a dedicated control board and is boosted by two high efficiency Bosch 32 Condensing Gas boilers.
The basic principle of the hot water, heating and heat rejection system is as follows:
- Heat from the sun is collected by the 14 solar collectors
- This heat is stored in 3 x 580L stratified Latento storage tanks
- The additional twin gas boost also services the tank, keeping the temperature above the set point temperature
- When home space heating is required, this stored heat is distributed among the heated areas in the house and is controlled via the programmable room thermostat system.
- When hot water is required, water is drawn through the heat exchanger inside the tanks and is delivered to the hot water system
- When solar heat reject is required, heat is directed to a pool heat exchanger where it is delivered to the pool
Project outcome, carbon dioxide and cost savings of system
Urban Energy successfully designed, installed and commissioned this solar heating system. The installation process operated smoothly, in a timely manner within budget costing.
The system has been operating successfully for over 6 months and has saved a significant quantity of greenhouse gasses for the offset heating costs of the dwelling.
The massive solar array continues to deliver an incredible amount of heat, which saves a huge amount of greenhouse gasses from the offset heating requirement.