Projects: Winmalee Residence
- To efficiently heat the dwelling and produce hot water single solar system
- To utilise as much solar as possible in all heating modes
- To effectively control the flow of heat and maintain efficiency of the system
This new development is a 5 bedroom ecologically sustainable project located in Winmalee in the blue mountains of NSW. The client was interested in a combined solar based heating package, to effectively heat the house via independently zoned underfloor hydronic heating and heat the domestic hot water for the dwelling.
The system decided on was a solar and gas combination Latento storage system. The underfloor heating system was to be installed inside the slab to give effective thermal mass to the house and be managed with an electronic programmable thermostat system.
The system installed is a dual tank, 4 solar collector Latento system complete with heat reject to an in slab system under the rainwater storage tanks. The system is controlled by a dedicated control board and is boosted by a high efficiency Bosch 32 Gas boiler.
The basic principle of the hot water, hydronics (underfloor heating) and heat rejection system is as follows:
- Heat from the sun is collected by the 4 solar collectors
- This heat is stored in 2 x 580L stratified Latento storage tanks
- The additional gas boost also services the tank, keeping the temperature above the set point temperature
- When home space heating is required, this stored heat is distributed among the heated areas in the house via the programmable room thermostat system.
- When hot water is required, water is drawn through the heat exchanger inside the tanks and is delivered to the hot water system
- When solar heat reject is required, heat is directed to a slab underneath some of the rainwater storage tanks
Project outcome, carbon dioxide and cost savings of system
Urban Energy successfully designed, installed and commissioned this Solar / Gas heating system. The installation process operated smoothly, in a timely manner within budget costing.
The system has been operating successfully for over 6 months and has saved a significant quantity of greenhouse gasses for the offset heating costs of the dwelling.
The house has been awarded the maximum 7 stars for energy and water efficiency and was a feature house on the BPM architecture and sustainability magazine.